Life. It can get busy in the blink of an eye. Days are filled with teaching, training and spending time with 3 boys. Housework. My Etsy. Cooking. Dishes. Laundry. My husband’s days are filled with an hour commute one way. Clocking a minimum of 9.5 hours. Part time college. Lawn. House. Garden. Daddy time with those boys mentioned earlier!
Where does marriage fit into the mix?
Sometimes we are left scrambling for leftovers. Scraps of time here or there that aren’t already spoken for. It might be a ½ an hour at the end of the day after the boys are sound asleep and school work is finished for the day. It may be a rare (as in not nearly often enough) actual planned date night. It may be catching up over the phone on that long commute home. Or a quick call to check in at lunchtime. However the amount, we need to stay connected. We need to keep working at this and not let our marriage fall in the cracks.
Is our marriage always excellent? no. Do we always feel close in midst of all the responsibilities? no. Do we sometimes take each other forgranted? yes. Does life get so busy that we, at times, go far too long without connecting? you bet. There are very real demands that need our time and attention and sometimes that leaves us completely beat at the end of the day.
So how can we save and guard time for each other? Some simple ideas that have worked for us:
* Plan a movie night in. No babysitters required!
* Work together to get caught up around the house so we are free and ready to relax
* Appreciate even those tiny little scraps of time here or there. That hug. A kiss.
* Thank each other for all the work that goes into each day. Can I change that long commute? No, but I CAN thank him for being such an excellent supporter and provider for us. Does that make the hour any shorter? Probably not, but I bet it’s better than if I get bitter about him not being around.
* Leave little notes
* Bring flowers home just because! (I love when this happens)
* Remember all the things you love about them
* Forget all the things that bug you
* Put each other first
* Choose each day to be married!
* Get a babysitter
Realize that life can be challenging: It’s not always going to be a piece of cake. There are going to be hard days. You aren’t always going to like each other or be perfect. Be understanding. This is THE ONE! The person that you chose to walk through life with, to share in the joys and trials. What an amazing gift! Bask in the security of knowing that they love you, at your worst and at your best!
How blessed I am to have someone who will share even their little, teeny scraps of time with me!